Pro Hockey News

Monday, October 5, 2015

Tour hands out 50 PGA TOUR cards for upcoming 2015-16 season

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Emiliano Grillo and Chez Reavie were deadlocked at 13-under-par heading into the 72nd hole of the Web.com Tour Championship. Both hit the par-4 finishing hole in regulation with Grillo set to putt first. 

The 23-year-old from Resistencia, Argentina drained a 25-footer for birdie, carded a final-round 69 and finished at 14-under-par 266. 

Reavie stepped up, missed his bid to send the tournament into extra holes and tapped in for par making Grillo the second-youngest winner in Tour Championship history.

“I knew that I needed to win,” said Grillo of his clutch effort. “I gave my best out there, and I think the best thing I did all day was making that putt on 18.”

Grillo’s first Tour victory was worth $180,000. The first-place check moved him to No. 4 in the final priority rankings.

“It's great,” said Grillo, who is set to start his quest for a FedExCup in at the Frys.com Open in California in a little more than a week when the PGA TOUR’s 2015-16 wraparound season kicks off. “It's been a great week. I'm on the PGA TOUR and it feels great.”

Sam Saunders (67) posted 12-under-par, good for solo third, while Austrlalia’s Rhein Gibson (65) finished fourth after stumbling with a bogey on the closing hole at TPC Sawgrass – Dye’s Valley Course.

The Web.com Tour Championship was the season-ending event and 50 players were awarded their 2015-16 PGA TOUR cards on Sunday evening after the tournament.

The drama on Sunday at the Tour Championship was as good as advertised. Grillo and Reavie went back and forth most of the afternoon. Grillo led early on before a bogey at No. 8 left him tied with Reavie. Reavie then birdied the par-4, ninth hole to take a one-stroke lead into the final nine.

Grillo answered on the very next hole with a birdie of his own to regain a share of the lead. Reavie then dropped a shot on the par-3, 11th to fall one behind Grillo.

Grillo rattled off seven straight pars and arrived to the 18th hole tied with Reavie after the TOUR veteran birdied the par-5, 16th. With the tournament on the line, Grillo rose to the occasion and ended Reavie’s campaign for a second win in The Finals with a three at the last.

“It was a great feeling making that putt,” said Grillo. “I was hoping to get it done before that, but it took that putt on the last hole and I'm really glad it went in.”

Reavie came up a shot shy of a playoff but his second-place performance secured him the top spot in The Finals and fully exempt status on TOUR.

“It's everything,” said the 33-year-old Scottsdale, Arizona resident about becoming fully exempt on TOUR once again. “A couple of years ago I was hurt and didn't know where I was going to end up and here I am playing the best golf of my life and I've got a spot back on TOUR.”

Two weeks ago, Reavie won the Small Business Connection Championship at River Run. The former RBC Canadian Open champion‘s stellar play during the four-event series also rewarded him with a spot in THE PLAYERS Championship next season.

“I'm just excited,” said Reavie about competing on THE PLAYERS Stadium Course in May of 2016. “I haven't played THE PLAYERS now in a couple years and am really excited to get back.”

Patton Kizzire concluded his Tour season with a birdie on his final hole, posted 67 and finished 10-under par in a tie for fifth. Kizzire, who had a Tour-leading 12 top 10s this season, also earned fully exempt status by winning the Tour’s season-long money title.

“It's hard to believe,” said the 29-year-old Sea Island resident. “I've always believed in myself but it's hard to believe that I came out on top. I don't like to think about what I've done, I just like to keep going and try to do better.”